Friday, December 3, 2010

Support Your Local Brewpub

I probably wouldn't homebrew as often as I do if it weren't for the people at Haverhill Brewing Company/The Tap, my local brewpub in Haverhill, MA. Because of them and their respect for homebrewers, I am able to purchase sacks of grain at cost. What this boils down to is significant savings on my part.

I went today to pick up 55 lb. bags of Pilsen, Vienna, and Munich for a Flanders Red Ale that the Renegades of Funk are brewing over the Christmas Holiday. In total, it cost $102. To put that into perspective, to order the same grains from midwestsupplies.com, an online retailer that I use for pretty much every other homebrewing purchase because of their low prices, it would cost me $178.85 for the grain and another $79.57 for shipping. That is a grand total of $258.42.

That saved me $152. 42 and reduces my carbon footprint by buying it locally. My brewpub sold it at cost to me, therefore not making money off of that specific transaction, but while I was there I took the liberty to purchase five bombers of Joshua Norton, their exceptionally delicious and well made Imperial Stout. They sell bombers in-house for much lower than the liquor stores in the area and actually make more of a profit than if I were to buy it somewhere else. On another occasion, Evan and I ate lunch there and had 2 pints of beer each before we bought a bag of Marris Otter to brew our Imperial Stout. It seems like a win-win for all parties involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment